Thursday, October 22, 2009

No Matter What, They Will Procrastinate

It seems, every time I try something new in an attempt reduce the number of students that will procrastinate on completing their experimentation for the science fair project, it fails. Today, I am ready to lock my door and post a note that says "out sick." What would they do? Use it as an excuse. Do I have a miracle since they haven't even started testing? No. Can they have an extension? No. Wall to wall students all pulling me in different directions. Each expecting me to give them my full attention just because they showed up. It's frustrating. I try not to show it. I try to be fair and firm. And I know, I just gotta get over it!
Already I'm thinking strategy. What should I try next semester? I think I will require weekly SFP (science fair project) log checks. A form for the mentor that clearly defines their role and responsibility in the process. Earlier due dates. Less time for testing and more time for analyzing data. Checkpoint for materials gathered. Have each student analyze the timing available and create a timeline of checkpoints. This is start.

1 comment:

  1. Jenny had some other excellent ideas about changes. I suddenly went blank. I guess I'll have to think about that and come back to it.

    ReplyDelete