Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Breakdown

It was one of those worst moments. Disappointment in myself...

A student comes in after school needing a science fair project. This student had one to begin with but didn't do it. Then was instructed two weeks ago to go see our physics teacher for a project. A project was provided. Not done - no data as per the due date Friday. Talked to the student again yesterday about the fact that without the project they would fail the quarter. So, today we go down together to the same teacher for another project idea. Mission accomplished. The one twist was we couldn't find a stopwatch to time the drop of the balls. "Can I just go home and do this?" the student asks. My response was no. "Why not?" I tell the student, "because you've already had two projects you haven't followed through with." Needless to say this turned into an argument that led to the student walking out very upset. I followed out of the room and attempted to get the student back on track and to understand my perspective. The student says, "You just don't understand." I say, " You're right. Help me." To no avail. The student left.

Contacted one of the parents. It was a really good discussion. Why is this science fair project such a big deal and so much of their grade? Don't you have opportunities to learn about the nature of science through lab activities and such? What can be done now?

We discussed the student coming in tomorrow after school to test with the project due by the end of the week.

Tonight the whole situation haunts me. What happened? When did it turn bad? Why didn't I recognize frustration before it got to the point of being beyond wanting help? Should I have pestered the student more about the project in the first place? What do I do and say when this student walks in the door tomorrow? Will he/she hate science now? The quarter ends tomorrow and I may never encounter this student again - little opportunity to work on rebuilding trust and respect between us.

Although the student will be still be able to complete the project, I can't help but worry about the intangible impact of this.

1 comment:

  1. D,
    This sounds like a difficult situation to navigate. What have you learned from this? What types of "checks" might you be able to add in the future to alleviate this type of scenario from happening again?

    Thanks for being transparent and sharing your thoughts on the blog.

    ReplyDelete